Wednesday 6 June 2012

Veg Planting and Flower Pics

It's been a lovely evening here. Sun strong enough make shorts a possibility, and to dry the grass from earlier rain. A huge blue sky with billowing white clouds. Just the sort of night that makes it essential to rush home from work as quickly as humanly possible and get out there. I got home first giving me time on my own for a tour of the garden, peering at newly sprouting additions, and then getting started with some planting. Not long after this Marie arrived home with the boy and we spent a very enjoyable hour on the lawn with him attempting to roll over (and very nearly getting there!). I've spent so long labouring away in the garden, getting it into shape and often in less than wonderful weather. It's really nice now to be able to learn to enjoy it.
We had a pair of goldfinches here yesterday, fluttering about the feeders. I'm not sure if I've ever seen them before, and if I have it's been a very long time.

I've had a productive little time getting my peppers and tomatoes planted out. They were getting a bit on the large side for the bedroom window ledge, so I reckon it needed to be done. Hopefully it's not too early...

The peppers are sweet and cayenne with 4 of each planted in a 50 litre pot, and then a 3rd pot with a mixture in. I ran out of gravel while I was doing it, so I need to get some more to finish mulching. It's all looking pretty good if I do say so myself. Better than grow bags!

Pot's O' Veg (or technically, fruit)

Sweet Peppers

The tomatoes are 'Red Alert'. I'm not a massive tomato eater, but I do very much like freshly made pasta sauce, so hopefully we'll get a few. They're planted individually in 5 litre pots. Both the peppers and the tomatoes were given a layer of gravel in the bottom of the pots to aid drainage.

Tomato 'Red Alert'

There are several things either in flower, or just getting there at the moment. It's making a very pleasant change to the dullness that's been going on for so long. It makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Delphinium. A beautiful colour, the picture doesn't do it justice.

The gorgeous Aquilegia that I admitted to neglecting to photo in my previous post.
Marie says she'd fill the garden with them if she could, and I'm inclined to agree.


Digitalis (Foxglove) just starting to come into bloom. I love the speckles inside the flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak to me! Please be kind, I'm such a delicate soul...