Sunday 31 March 2013

A Spot of Sun

A hive of busy busy
Yesterday I thought spring had sprung. We had a lovely warm afternoon that was actually sunny enough to be working outside in a T-shirt. I got loads done - Lots of potting on of seedlings and putting in some summer bulbs, with a smattering of weeding and trellis building to keep things interesting.

Better late than never

Seedlings - Nicotiana and agapanthus

The Birdies, taking some air.
Unfortunately, it was all a pesky trick played by the weather controllers. It's snowing again today. Bah.

In other news, I bought a large trolley full of bargainous plants from the B&Q doomed plants shelf yesterday. I got six big lavenders, 5 curry plants, 2 heucheras and a date palm. Quite what the hell I'm going to do with a date palm I'm not sure, but for 10p I couldn't resist... Any tips on rejuvinating some slightly tired looking lavender? I'm thinking a fairly hard prune should do it.

8 comments:

  1. Wasn't getting out into the garden a treat! I'm a little stiff and sore, but like you, got some cleanup started. Enjoy your spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice to have a few uninterrupted hours out there, with all sorts done.

      Delete
  2. I love the first gardening days of early spring. They're so invigorating. I'd prune the lavender and give it some compost. It should perk up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the advice - That'd been my plan, to prune and re-pot and hopefully I should have some nice healthy plants to set out in a few weeks.

      Delete
  3. It's so wonderful to be able to get out on sunny spring days. Sorry it is snowing again today! I guess Mother Nature just wanted to give you a little appetizer before she serves the full meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually perked up quite nicely later on. Enough for me to spend a couple of hours playing out there with That Baby. A couple of days of sun has stuff raising heads all over!

      Delete
  4. I too have been a sucker on a B&Q rescue mission. I have to say I think the staff there are trained to actively try and kill their plants and so many come with a complementary disease. Nevertheless I also bought some exhausted lavender a few years ago, fed it and it did well although it has quite quickly gone leggy (possibly my fault) and the flower colour is a bit pale and boring. I reckon if you plant it, feed it and prune it it will have a reasonable chance of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what I've done. We'll see what happens! I also used the pruning s as cuttings. Again, nothing lost! I am a sucker for the nearly dead plants shelf though...

      Delete

Speak to me! Please be kind, I'm such a delicate soul...